The origin of Savoy’s Residences dates back to 1562, the the Duke Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy, after the Peace of Cateau Cambresis decided to bring the capital to Turin.
So he started to renovate old castles (even of Roman age) and building new palaces Délices and Follies in the green belt surrounding the capital of the future Kingdom of Sardinia.
It was at this time that began the planning of the territorial project of a Residences System that gave Turin and its neighborhood a distance Baroque imprint designing the roads and hunting routes.
The territory’s reorganization project developer in the XVII and XVII century had also a symbolic value to celebrate the absolute power of the Savoy dynasty with the creation of a control zone in the capital where the power was wielded in all its forms, political, administrative and cultural through the new road system.
It is in the center of Racconigi, not far from turin, int the County of Cuneo.
In it’s almost thousand years history it has been renovated many times. It came into Savoy’s rule about the second half of the XIV century. later it was the home seat of the Savoy Carignano branch of the family and later still it became one of the “Royal Holiday’s site” of the Sardinian (and later Italian) Royal family who took residence in the summer and fall months
Stupinigi was used as hunting lodge of the Royals. It has been built by Architect Filippo Juvarra from 1729 to 1733. It’s parto of the circuit of the Royal Residences and in 1997 became one of UNESCO’s World’s Heritage sites. It’s 10 km south of Turin, in the township of Nichelino.
Also Unesco’s World’s Heritage Site since 1997 has been but by Architect Amedeo di Castellamonte by commission of the Duke Carlo Emanuele II who wanted to have a starting point for his hunting parties. The name comes from the latin Venatio Regia, meaning Royal Hunts.